CAPS Curriculum and Subjects South Africa: The National Curriculum Statement Grades R-12 (NCS) stipulates policy on curriculum and assessment in the schooling sector. To improve implementation, the National Curriculum Statement was amended, with the amendments coming into effect in January 2012. A single comprehensive Curriculum and Assessment Policy document was developed for each subject to replace Subject Statements, Learning Programme Guidelines and Subject Assessment Guidelines in Grades R-12.
A National Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement is a single, comprehensive, and concise policy document, which has replaced the Subject and Learning Area Statements, Learning Programme Guidelines and Subject Assessment Guidelines for all the subjects listed in the National Curriculum Statement Grades R – 12.
- Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statements for each approved school subject as listed in the policy document National policy pertaining to the programme and promotion requirements of the National Curriculum Statement Grades R – 12;
- The policy document National policy pertaining to the programme and promotion requirements of the National Curriculum Statement Grades R – 12 which describes the number of subjects to be offered by learners in each grade and the promotion requirements to be obtained; and
- The policy document National Protocol for Assessment Grades R – 12 which standardises the recording and reporting processes for Grades R – 12 within the framework.
Why is CAPS is Important at South African Schools?
CAPS, the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement, is a revision of the previous NCS (National Curriculum Statement). CAPS gives teachers detailed guidelines of what to teach and assessed on a grade –by- grade and subject-by- subject basis.
- The Main aim of CAPS is to lessen the administrative burden on teachers and ensure consistency and guidance for teachers when teaching.
- The teaching and learning of the subjects have specific aims, skills, focus of content areas and weighting of content areas.
- What were called Learning Outcomes and Assessment Standards in the NCS are now called Content and Skills in CAPS.
- In CAPS Numeracy is now called Mathematics and Literacy is called Language. A learning area is now referred to as a subject.
- CAPS provides detailed week –by- week planning for teachers to follow. It gives clear guidance in terms of pacing and progression. It also gives clear guidance of assessment requirements.
Revised CAPS document 2021
List of CAPS Subjects in South African public Schools
- Technical Mathematics
- Physical Science
- Life Sciences
- Technical Sciences
- Mathematics Literacy
- Life Orientation
- Religion Studies
- Business Studies
- Consumer Studies
- Tshivenda Home Languag
- IsiXhosa Home Language
- IsiZulu Home Language
- Sepedi Home Language
- Sesotho Home Language
- Setswana Home Language
- Seswati Home Language
- Afrikaans Home Language
- English Home Language
- Xitsonga Home Language
- Tourism and Hospitality Studies
- Computer Applications Technology
- Civil Technolog
- Electrical Technology
- Engineering Graphics and Designs
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Technology
- Agricultural Sciences
- Agricultural Technology
- Agricultural Management Practices
- Dance Studies Grade
- Dramatic Arts
- Music Visual Arts